Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Raya 2009


Just like last year and the year before that.. Raya means - colour theme, latest 'in' cookies (they all taste the same, only the colour and shape change) and rendang.
This year our theme is purple. Mangoesteen purple.

I didn't cook this rendang, but the one I made resembled this one the closest. I don't like to brag but I think I make a pretty good rendang or so my in-laws say lah. I learned the art of making rendang at the PLKN KK di Bawah Bayu, Tuaran where I used to be a Trainer for the Character Building module(hmm..the allowance is pretty good then at RM80/day..hehehe..plus my salary..yup, we do entitled to a 90 days paid leave to 'Serve the Nation').
My Rendang guru, Lt-Col Hj. Hatimthai, revealed to me that the secret lies in the use of gula melaka. Not only it enhances the flavour but also helps to tenderize the beef. And, he also told me, ALWAYS make your own kerisik from a freshly grind coconut. Not the ready-made ones, they are always overcooked and bitter.

The cookies... In the first two years of marriage, I tried to make our own cookies. Bought all the Edisi Khas Raya magazines there is.. for the recipes. My husband even got me a decent oven! The fun part.. Shopping for the baking materials. But in the end, my baking plan had to be aborted. I couldn't stand the smell!! I was expecting Ryan at that time. My second Raya... Between working and changing my son's diapers, couldn't find the time to do it so there went my plan for super cookies. And I still have the icing sugar I bought back in 2006. From then on, i just buy my cookies..

My father-in-law, one of the nicest man in the world. At his side is his wife.

2 comments:

  1. Sadap o nampak tu rendang! nanti klu sa balik KK, trus sa mo p makan lemang n rendang. Onong bilang ada jual lemang d tepi jalan tg.lipat :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. memang sadap!!! bah, nanti sia kasi masak spesel untuk ko nanti ko pulang sini.

    ReplyDelete